CAMARO FIREBIRD US NATS

 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom dash facia guy
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    camaro-firebird.org Forum Index -> Service, Repairs and Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bandit1977



Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 290



PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aus78Formula wrote:
Slight setback, after dragging out my spare LHD dash facia and comparing it to my RHD facia I finally found that even after several years they don't match. It's about 90% the same and a few gauge holes off centre which I knew about. But instead of tapering off on the drivers side it continues the same shape, so instead of a curved dash facia it's basically rectangular. I never even noticed.

Ken, you did Leigh insert years ago, was it custom too rather than mirror? In the pics, at least, it looks straight like mine, no tapering towards the door. Did it have a border molding? Some pics show an edge, others don't, but could be test fitting pics only.


Yes it was custom, but other than making a blank sheet of engine turned aluminium, Leigh did the rest of the work.
No it didn't have border molding, I didn't make/supply any for Leigh, I can't recall if he came up with something himself.
I can make the perimeter aluminium trim for custom facia's, but it won't be in one piece like the original as I use my main mirror image forming die to produce the perimeter trim piece.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aus78Formula



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 819



PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to dig out the dash and compare fit, and get back to you. Just short on time and interest at present.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit1977



Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 290



PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aus78Formula wrote:
I need to dig out the dash and compare fit, and get back to you. Just short on time and interest at present.


No problem Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit1977



Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 290



PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ben,
I got your PM message a few days ago regarding a guy (Max222) looking for somebody to refinish a Trans Am dash.
I've tried numerous times to reply to you via PM but for some reason my replies won't go any further than the outbox?
If you read this post, you can contact me via email: firebird71@bigpond.com
Regards,
Ken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeighP



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 5362
Location: Sydney, Australia


PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Ken's blank sheet of engine turned alloy and hand made a facia. I fitted it to the existing insert frame that I had, but I didn't try to roll the edge molding onto the facia itself.
_________________
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aus78Formula



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 819



PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken, I'll shoot you a msg.
cheers LP, I'm still bummed that all these years never noticed the facia isn't a perfect mirrored swap, had plans, and spares to go with them. Not sure what to do there now, not that an interior problem is an issue for a car in boxes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeighP



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 5362
Location: Sydney, Australia


PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every RHD dash I've seen is different...even if only slightly.
That said, take what you've got, if it's what you want, and have it aqua-dipped in wood grain - since yours is a Formula.....that is unless you were specifically after an engine turned facia?

_________________
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bonnevista



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 1415
Location: Wollongong


PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeighP wrote:
Every RHD dash I've seen is different...even if only slightly.
That said, take what you've got, if it's what you want, and have it aqua-dipped in wood grain - since yours is a Formula.....that is unless you were specifically after an engine turned facia?


Yeah, I've never quite got my head around why they're all slightly different, considering you can use the LHD fascia as a mirror image template...

_________________
I had a great childhood, I just didn't think it would last this long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LeighP



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 5362
Location: Sydney, Australia


PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fit the poorly molded RHD dashes...... Rolling Eyes
I do not like conversions......I try and talk anyone out of doing one when asked about it.

_________________
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aus78Formula



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 819



PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid silly money years ago to have the facia redone by 'professionals'. Crazy how some people make a living with shoddy work. Redid it much better myself but still stuck with whoever made the original facia also being lazy. I'd remake that myself too but I just don't care anymore, it's unlikely it will ever see use again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve



Joined: 16 Oct 2007
Posts: 3015



PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeighP wrote:
To fit the poorly molded RHD dashes...... Rolling Eyes
I do not like conversions......I try and talk anyone out of doing one when asked about it.


couple of mates get together imported a few cars drank scotch whilst making a very average job of converting cars to RHD ...so many bodgey conversions..My guess the ratio would be one good conversion for every 60 done over the years during the 70,s to the end of the green compliance plates.

No issues whatsoever driving LHD unless you like McD type food
even toll roads now are electronic !

_________________
"Under steer is where the nose of your car hits the wall and over steer is when the ass end of your car hits the wall. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bonnevista



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 1415
Location: Wollongong


PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
LeighP wrote:
To fit the poorly molded RHD dashes...... Rolling Eyes
I do not like conversions......I try and talk anyone out of doing one when asked about it.


couple of mates get together imported a few cars drank scotch whilst making a very average job of converting cars to RHD ...so many bodgey conversions..My guess the ratio would be one good conversion for every 60 done over the years during the 70,s to the end of the green compliance plates.

No issues whatsoever driving LHD unless you like McD type food
even toll roads now are electronic !


I came up with a brilliant strategy regarding McDs and my LHD car. I park the car and walk in...

_________________
I had a great childhood, I just didn't think it would last this long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LeighP



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 5362
Location: Sydney, Australia


PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonnevista wrote:
Steve wrote:
LeighP wrote:
To fit the poorly molded RHD dashes...... Rolling Eyes
I do not like conversions......I try and talk anyone out of doing one when asked about it.


couple of mates get together imported a few cars drank scotch whilst making a very average job of converting cars to RHD ...so many bodgey conversions..My guess the ratio would be one good conversion for every 60 done over the years during the 70,s to the end of the green compliance plates.

No issues whatsoever driving LHD unless you like McD type food
even toll roads now are electronic !


I came up with a brilliant strategy regarding McDs and my LHD car. I park the car and walk in...


Patent it, you'll make a fortune!

_________________
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    camaro-firebird.org Forum Index -> Service, Repairs and Tuning All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Protected by Anti-Spam ACP

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group