CAMARO FIREBIRD US NATS

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1969 Firebird - Partial Restoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    camaro-firebird.org Forum Index -> Restoration or Modification Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeighP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: 1969 Firebird - Partial Restoration Reply with quote

Well, I think it's time I started thread on the partial restoration of the 69 Firebird I acquired when my friend passed away.

Michael bought this 69 in California 10 years ago, we went to look at it in Fresno while we were on the way to Yosemite from LA. It was a one family owned car, passed down from mom to the kids, as they needed a school car. Typical CA car, almost no rust.....it was very tired, but it ran, after some coaxing. I stored it for a number of years at my place, then Michael stored it and only started in on the restoration shortly before he died.

At my place.....
Mikes Firebirds 2 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

When I took over the car....
P9120037 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

I cleaned up and painted the rear axle, refitted with reset springs and new bushes etc....
IMG_0904 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

LeighP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearbox and converter have been overhauled, I'm waiting on the engine build by Peninsular Engine Services at Brookvale. Engine is a GTO 68 400HO block with 69 RAIII heads.....to be built for highway cruising, not racing.

Front end is all rebuilt, converted to power disc brakes...
IMG_0963 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

I've been doing small jobs in preparation for putting hte car back together.....to make things go quicker when the engine gets back. This will be a mechanical, electrical and trim restoration.....body and paint will get done is a couple of years, when the budget allows.

Hood hinges....
IMG_1041 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

Radiator support assembly....fitting Vintage Air integrated AC/Heating.
IMG_1105 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

The pass through set up and firewall block off plate for the AC and heater lines.....the Vintage kit is pretty good.
IMG_1198 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

LeighP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned up and painted the front bumper assembly.....restored the headlight mounts.....adjusters work a lot better better now. Sourced some budget RHD H4 and H1 headlights to get me by for now.

IMG_1120 by Leigh Peddell, on FlickrIMG_1197 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

Currently working to clean up the dash, continue fitting as much of the AC as I can at this stage.......so much to do.

Got to love California cars......this is the passenger side fresh air plenum where the heater and AC lines will be going.....all I did was remove a couple of handfulls of Eucalyptus leaves and vacuumed it out....clean as, not a hint of rust. Gave it a coat of black epoxy anti-rust paint, just to be sure, though....

IMG_1143 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

LeighP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underside of the car was cleaned and painted by Michael, so I've just refitted some lines and a new fuel tank.....which had to be modified to include the 69's "one year vent system" connection....apparently, not all 69's have the tank vent, it was a running change in production.

IMG_1011 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

IMG_1017 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

Cleaning 48 years worth of CA road crap out of the coil tube protectors on the fuel line was fun...even more fun was getting the one piece line back in the car after Michael had already fitted the sub-frame connectors...the line fits between the connectors and the floor.

IMG_1022 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

LeighP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an American Autowire "update" electrical harness kit.....lets me completely rewire the car, with correct GM style connectors etc, but allows for things liek a HEI and internally regulated alternator and accessories like aftermarket aircon.

IMG_1010 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

IMG_1008 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

LeighP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polished a section of the paint....its a nice metallic blue with a bit of green in it....close to, possibly correct, the factory 69 colour Windward Blue.....it was a cheapy repaint in the 80's, I think.

IMG_1126 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

The car was originally Limelight Green with black standard interior.....not sure yet what colour I'll do the car, but it has most of a new Deluxe black interior to go in it.....black goes with anything, lol.

SBC-68-FIREBIRD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.
gke60

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work Leigh, i love the 69's.
NFORCR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Good to see you back and active on pontiac Leigh
Bale9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are doing a great job Leigh and educating me for my build along the way.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
gpierce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you us active again:)Smile

I like this look Leigh:

https://ccpublic.blob.core.windows.net/cc-temp/listing/97/8534/7251404-1969-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-std-c.jpg
LeighP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys....things are going slow....a lot of cleaning behind the dash required. Currently fitting the Vintage Air ducting adapters. Removed the cracked dash pad, thought I'd have to paint the dash top, but it cleaned up OK. Win.

The side dash vents require modification, and the normal fresh air ducts removed and blocked off. The factory defroster ducting is replaced by slimmer, smaller individual units. I have to modify the dash itself for the centre vents, and repair some hatchet job mods from the original owners.

IMG_1201 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

Both side dash vents were flogged out...the felt that keeps the vent ball located and still was missing on one, and damaged and jamming the vent on the other....the chrome on the balls was almost all gone. At the cost to replace the vent balls alone, I decided a home resto was the way to go....used leather to replace the factory felt strips, cleaned everything and painted the balls in chrome paint...not planning on repositioning these vents much, if at all, so I hope once set in the car, they won't get played with. A Vintage adapter is needed for hte AC hookup.

IMG_1207 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

IMG_1208 by Leigh Peddell, on Flickr

LeighP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpierce wrote:
Glad to see you us active again:)Smile

I like this look Leigh:

https://ccpublic.blob.core.windows.net/cc-temp/listing/97/8534/7251404-1969-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-std-c.jpg

Yeah, I like that too...a T/A clone is on my list of possible finishes, when the car does get painted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    camaro-firebird.org Forum Index -> Restoration or Modification Projects All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: