CAMARO FIREBIRD US NATS

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Parts: On going post...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    camaro-firebird.org Forum Index -> Camaro-Firebird.org Club Sponsors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeighP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, now that you've posted on these, am I free to tell my US based friends about these parts?
Thanks Cool

DMCPONT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: side molds Reply with quote

Yes thats fine if you wish.
Thanks
krazyoztralien

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my car has bump strips dont know how original they are been thinking of taking them off
DMCPONT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Molds Reply with quote

Could you photograph them close up....particularly the ends. ?
krazyoztralien

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave ill see what i can do for you mate
DMCPONT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: photos Reply with quote

thankyou Krazy... I want to triple check a few details before full production etc.. appreciate your help.... I'll have AUSMonza give you a big grandma kiss.. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DMCPONT on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit1977

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I've got factory fitted originals on my 77 S/E.
Do you want pics of them?
Ken D
DMCPONT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: outer body molds Reply with quote

Ken..yes.. absolutely.. .. one thing I'm looking for is the texture of the main alloy strip as against and next to the chrome end caps.. I have both a stainless main molding (as pictured) and chrome or extremely polished mold.. the mold being the track the rubber insert slides into. In the photo I've put up your can see the dulling of the two metals is there if you look hard.
DMCPONT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Ken... Reply with quote

Ken.. I've dispatched a sample of the side mould to you via Fastway couriers.. Eta Wednesday.. Check it out against your 77 Bandit..
Its interesting yours also has them on it..... & are the side moulds on yours....listed on your PHS documentation...?... and if so.. do you know under just what code.. ?? I've seen these for the last 25 years.. and often been called to supply all or parts of them.. AND seen the stick on GM stuff that we could buy will around 2001 .. like accessory parts they supply for dealer install..but trying to find now the internal GM fitment pattern for the use of them. Bit like investigating other parts.. there is sometimes no hard and fast rule...be it years, plants used, exterior molding option packs or just dealer installed as or only an option on some parts... ie C&C tops.. were they "öriginal"..??.. or GM numbered mudflaps with "Pontiac" on them.. Are the stick on mouldings OFTEN now seen on some F bodies.. actually ORIGINAL.. just because a person has a Build Sheet with Exterior Body Moulds listed on them.. could they have been changed in a restoration or repair due to lack of availability etc..?? etc...

Thanks
dc
Aus78Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be of interest, has a few pics and diagrams of moulds. Either stick-on or rivetted on could be found from new, perhaps a factory or availability thing. Mine had stick-on and retains original doors with no holes repaired from the inside and listed on build sheet along with colour of mould strip that matched paintwork. The stick on rolls are available repro in colours for those that require that type and have the 'bullet' on each end although these rivet on type look neater if you are brave enough to drill even if just the ends, look neat though Dave!

http://firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/bingo/options/decor/decor.htm
DMCPONT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: moulds Reply with quote

Thanks Aus78... thats exactly the pictures I was looking for .. its reconfirms the production is per original of the B84 Option... ...& gives more options on factory or non-factory etc. That Code "B84" may also have a colour variance too - I'm open to word on that to be exact - in the option code # sequence - I can research that with the GM parts books we have from 20-30 years back).
Thanks Leigh for helping expose this a bit in the US.. I particularly like the last comment in reply to Leigh... which helps shows what Australia can do given the drive... "Love 'em or hate 'em, that's a really nice part your friend is making...my hat's off to the guys that continue to make the hobby better."

But like you I'm not a fan of drilling door skins with two 3mil end cap holes, or shopping centre bumps either... but particularly if its they're already fitted so be it. ... but I've purposely NOT pre-drilled the centre strips but rather had the super HD micro slim double sided tape fitted, drilling is then an option or for those with it already drilled as so many are.. its correct.

BUT.. for those with "GENUINE" side moulds...that are fully STICK ON.. what is the height and end cap design you have..?? and just as importantly.. is yours 100% original or a GM replacement correctly identified per GM books and point score researched perfect etc or a local product. A lot of people have different experiences and beliefs .. its hard to exact at times....

Below is a image of the sizes of 3 stick ons that JC whitney supply (JC Whitney is a mail order outlet.. a cross between Repco and Supercheap. The three they show might help. JC USED to supply the alloy track body mould back in the 90's but seen much since. What is the HEIGHT of your stick on moulds...if you have them...??? What is the end point design...???

Immediately below is a copy of a picture Leigh helped with... its of a GM stick on moulding.. The part # of which is 1154222 (disco'd) Does anybodies Stick on moulds look EXACTLY the same or different/...?????

I hope this is not too much trouble for people...

[i][i]

SideMoldStickon003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.02 KB
 Viewed:  5294 Time(s)

SideMoldStickon003.jpg

SideMoldStickon002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.45 KB
 Viewed:  5294 Time(s)

SideMoldStickon002.jpg

SideMoldStickon.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.26 KB
 Viewed:  5298 Time(s)

SideMoldStickon.jpg

Last edited by DMCPONT on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeighP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping you'd see the GM stick on molding....had the NOS box with part number on it.
I'm still trying to figure if the difference with the stick on vs the rivetted on moldings is a year model thing, or a factory thing....Van Nuys vs Norwood...etc

DMCPONT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: off subject.. Reply with quote

Sorta off subject.. but on the subject of 2nd gen F parts.. .. the Window Sweepers or the horizontal Door Window Glass run Weatherstrips... as some call them.... the LH outer # 9612541 * has just been discontinued by GM.. and the Inner LH side for all 70-81s is now gone also (went 5/2010) .. # 8808231.
LeighP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a set of repro ones I've had here for a while......when I was in the US time before last I picked up the genuine GM seals....they really are a bit nicer than the repro ones and much more correct for a later car....the repro ones with the chrome strip are patterned off the earlier car seals.
Bandit1977

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ken... Reply with quote

DMCPONT wrote:
Ken.. I've dispatched a sample of the side mould to you via Fastway couriers.. Eta Wednesday.. Check it out against your 77 Bandit..
Its interesting yours also has them on it..... & are the side moulds on yours....listed on your PHS documentation...?... and if so.. do you know under just what code.. ?? I've seen these for the last 25 years.. and often been called to supply all or parts of them.. AND seen the stick on GM stuff that we could buy will around 2001 .. like accessory parts they supply for dealer install..but trying to find now the internal GM fitment pattern for the use of them. Bit like investigating other parts.. there is sometimes no hard and fast rule...be it years, plants used, exterior molding option packs or just dealer installed as or only an option on some parts... ie C&C tops.. were they "öriginal"..??.. or GM numbered mudflaps with "Pontiac" on them.. Are the stick on mouldings OFTEN now seen on some F bodies.. actually ORIGINAL.. just because a person has a Build Sheet with Exterior Body Moulds listed on them.. could they have been changed in a restoration or repair due to lack of availability etc..?? etc...

Thanks
dc

Hi Dave,
Got your package today, but haven't opened it yet to check out the parts.
I'll try to find time tomorrow to line them up against my originals and snap a few pics for you.
Regarding them being listing on PHS documentation, I'll check my original build sheet and see if they're listed on it, to be honest I've never bothered to check before.

Regards,
Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    camaro-firebird.org Forum Index -> Camaro-Firebird.org Club Sponsors All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: